How your gastroenterologists in Orlando, FL, can help you feel better
If you suffer the symptoms of acid reflux, you already know how uncomfortable it can be. The burning pain of acid reflux can make your life miserable. The good news is, your gastroenterologist can help you feel better.
The gastroenterologists at Digestive and Liver Center of Florida now offer televisit services so you can feel better while still staying at home. They have several convenient office locations in downtown Orlando, Kissimmee, and Oviedo, FL, to help you.
Acid reflux is commonly called heartburn, but the truth is, it has nothing to do with your heart. It’s caused by incomplete closure of the sphincter muscle that separates your esophagus from your stomach. When this sphincter muscle doesn’t close completely, it allows stomach acid to flow backwards, up into your esophagus, causing the painful symptoms of acid reflux.
When you have acid reflux, you may experience:
- Chronic pain in your throat
- A frequent sour taste in your mouth
- Chronic bad breath
- Frequent wheezing and coughing
- Nausea, vomiting, and chest pain
- Tooth sensitivity caused by eroding tooth enamel
You can do a lot to limit acid reflux symptoms. Remember to:
- Eat smaller meals and avoid large ones
- Quit smoking and using other tobacco products
- Try not to eat before you lie down or go to bed
- Limit acidic or spicy foods in your diet
- Take over-the-counter antacids to help reduce stomach acid
Acid reflux isn’t just annoying, it can be damaging too. If acid reflux goes untreated, it can result in extensive tissue damage and other serious issues like these:
- Inflammation of your esophagus, causing swelling of esophageal tissue and difficulty swallowing
- Ulcers in your esophagus, causing painful swallowing, nausea, and chest pain
- Narrowing and scarring of your esophagus, leading to problems swallowing
- Cancer in your esophagus
Acid reflux affects over 60 million people in this country, according to the American College of Gastroenterology. Your gastroenterologist can help relieve the symptoms of acid reflux, so you can feel better fast. To find out more about symptoms and treatment of acid reflux, call the gastroenterologists of Digestive and Liver Center of Florida in Orlando, FL, at (407) 384-7388.