Posts for tag: Tumor
Colon cancer affects thousands of Americans each year, with more than 95,000 people being diagnosed with the condition in 2016 alone, according to the American Cancer Society. One of the best ways to detect colon cancer is by visiting your Altamonte Springs and Orlando, FL, gastroenterologist for a video capsule endoscopy.
More About an Endoscopy
An endoscopy is a procedure in which your gastroenterologist will use an endoscope (a thin, flexible tube with an attached lens and light source) to view the images of your digestive system on a video monitor. Your doctor then examines these images to examine if there are potential tumors, sources of bleeding, or pain.
It's a painless and non-invasive procedure that helps people detect early stages of cancer. It is recommended for adults ages 50 to 75, according to the CDC.
What does an endoscopy detect?
- Tumors in the small intestine
- Inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn’s disease)
Colon Cancer Symptoms
Symptoms aren't always obvious. Here are the signs you need to keep an eye out for according to the doctors in Altamonte Springs and Orlando, FL:
- Bowel Habit Changes: If you are suffering from constipation or diarrhea for more than four weeks, that may be a sign of cancer
- Fatigue: Colon cancer results in patients feeling weak and fatigued
- Weight Loss: Unexplained weight loss
- Incomplete Evacuation: If you are experiencing constant bowel movements, even if you've just had a bowel movement, then you need to contact your doctor
- Blood in Your Stool: Hemorrhoids are usually accompanied by blood in stool, but blood may also be a sign of a more serious condition like cancer
How to schedule an appointment
If you would like more information on endoscopies and how they can help you, don't hesitate to contact the doctors at Digestive and Liver Center of Florida. If you need an endoscopy, contact your Altamonte Springs and Orlando, FL, gastroenterologist today!