Finding a happy medium in terms of how much sugar the average person consumes is key. We @ Digestive and Liver Center of Florida encourage every patient to be mindful of how much sugar he or she includes in their diet. A good starting place is to moderate any soda consumption, candy, or other high-sugar items. Are you making it a goal to reduce any extra sugar on a weekly basis? What are your thoughts and perception on this subject?? It really does impact your overall health.
Consider these tips as a reference point on lowering your sugar:
- Instead of adding sugar on Oatmeal or cereal, add your favorite kind of fruit to sweeten it
- Opt for a low-calorie or sugar-free beverage (e.g. Sparkling water instead of Regular soda) to satiate a craving in a more healthy fashion
- Choose fruit rather than desserts
- Reduce the amount of sugar added into cakes and cookies. A good alternative to eliminate sugar completely from a recipe involves using unsweetened applesauce.
- Be aware of condiments like ketchup, and barbecue sauce; instead consider choosing lower sugar alternatives like salsa, mustard, and hot sauce.
- Read food labels and research the menus of various restaurants online to make informed decisions on-the-go
Have a safe Memorial day weekend as many families reflect on those that have served to protect our country!
~DLCFL Physicians and Staff